Recommended specs for Windows Development computer.

R.H. roland.huettmann at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 08:27:53 EDT 2019

Windows on dedicated hardware is my choice.  Only then you really can say
that you tested on Windows. The brand of the hardware (metal) is not
important in this case. You are not confined to a closed system as with
Apple.

I am exlusively using Windows 10 and I am quite happy with it. I do not
even want more fancy staff.

Windows XP and Windows 7 are outdated. It makes no sense using outdated
systems, unsupported, probably vulnerable. Go for Windows 10, 64bit, latest
version -- regularly updated and upgraded by Microsoft.

8 MB RAM should really be minimum standard. Better are 16. Have at least
200 GB extra space on your harddrive.

The problem with LiveCode's IDE on Windows is that the script editor is not
optimized, even though improved. So, a faster computer and more memory and
a SSD are quite helpful. But I do not want to open the bug box.

And I cannot resist saying that the IDE on Windows does not provide the
user interface (even when using the local theme) that today's users expect.
That is extra work to implement modern themes (Microsoft, Google, etc.)
with expected functionality built-in -- and it should come out of the box
(in an ideal world).

Most time I spend is with user interface design when I count my developing
hours.

Also, I am now using an extra wide screen instead of two separate monitors.
I would not go back to two separate monitors. For development work, I can
only recommend an extra wide single screen --but do not buy the cheapest
model.

All customers I know use Windows. There is not really any choice.

If I purchased a server, I would go for Unix based systems. But there are
so many inexpensive providers of server space that I did not see the
immediate need.

Roland