name vs short name

Klaus major-k klaus at major-k.de
Thu Jul 4 08:22:48 EDT 2019

Hi Paul,

> Am 04.07.2019 um 14:12 schrieb Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com>:
>
> No it is not consistent, but some of the syntax was baked into Metacard long ago,
> often in response to some specific customer asking for a way to do some specific thing.
> Remember, Metacard was effectively a product of a single person.

Yes, I am using Dr. Raneys wonderful piece of software since 1999. :-)

> For LiveCode to change it now would break far fr too many existing stacks

Au contraire, mon ami!

Simply because this (being able to set the SHORT name of an object) is not allowed until now,
but would make a lot of sense!

So this would be an addition and nothing that might break older syntax.

> On 7/4/2019 6:03 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi friends,
>>
>> this is on my mind for a very long time.
>>
>> put the name of img 1 -> image "xyz"
>> put the short name of img 1 -> xyz
>>
>> However:
>> set the short name of img 1 to "xyz2" -> compilation error, see below...
>>
>> We have to:
>> set the name of img 1 to "xyz2"
>>
>> This does not seem logical at all to me!?
>>
>> Can someone please explain in a comprehensible (sic!) way why this is so? :-)
>>
>> BTW:
>> Looks like the dictionary is wrong here (or am I missing something obvious?)
>> Entry about name:
>> set the [{ long | abbreviated | short }] name of object to string
>> ?
>>
>> I tried:
>> set the long name of btn 1 to "hello sailor!"
>> set the abbreviated name of btn 1 to "hello sailor!"
>> set the short name of btn 1 to "hello sailor!"
>>
>> And got "Compilation error: can't set this property..." in all three cases.
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance!

Best

Klaus

--