Us and them? [was Re: Livecode Dictionary]

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jan 23 13:39:37 EST 2019

Curry Kenworthy wrote:

 > What people need most in the Script Editor is to view and edit the
 > code itself smoothly, without jitters or delays

Not hard to make one.  A frontScript trapping the editScript message
lets you do whatever you want.

You can make a stack with a field and a Save button for the simplest
form as a starting point.

Or clone MC IDE's SE as a starting point.

I used to maintain my own SE for many years, until the big Waddingham
overhaul that became the foundation for what we use now.  I'm happy
enough with the current SE that I stopped work on custom ones, but
they're not hard to make for basic editing; the tough part is adding
features without impairing performance, a valuable exercise.

And then there are the countless third-party text editors, some of which
have LC-specific add-ons crafted by our community for them, like
Trevor's plugin for Atom.  I've been using Atom enough in web
development that I'm considering using it with LC.  It's very nice.

And of course LC's SE is fully open.  Anyone can fork it, improve it,
share it with anyone, and even submit the improvements back to the core
team for inclusion in the master build.

So many solutions so widely available....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems