Script Editor Performance

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 22 23:56:11 EST 2019

David Bovill wrote:

 > My guess on this is that it is a basic field issue.

Easily testable:

1. Make a field
2. Type in it
3. Open the Script Editor
4. Type in it

If you see a significant difference, we'll know it lies in the SE
scripts and not the engine.

 > One of the most frequent crashes I get is if in testing I put some
 > data in the msg box. If the data is unusually large, everything jams.

Does it crash or hang?

LC's Message Box is very complex, so we can't guarantee that things
affecting it will affect other layouts with heavy field use.

This can be tested similar to above:

1. Make a field.
2. Put whatever text into it that causes the Message Box to hang.

If it does hang it would be interested to see the text.  If it has
unusually long runs without linebreaks it may be the soft-wrap
calculations eating up time.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems