Us and them? [was Re: Livecode Dictionary]

David Bovill david.bovill at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 11:52:02 EST 2019

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 14:40, Brian Milby via use-livecode <

> That license will not allow inclusion into the LiceCode dictionary as it
> requires any derivative works to carry the same license.  For integration
> into the LiveCode project a CLA will need to be signed by each author and
> their contributions also submitted with copyright assigned to the company.

The documentation license is GPLv3 (with a modification for  ATL and
OpenSSL). It's not an ideal license for documentation - should probably
changed to make things clearer but "on October 8, 2015, Creative Commons
concluded
<https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/licensing-considerations/compatible-licenses/>
that the CC BY-SA <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CC_BY-SA> 4.0 is inbound
compatible with the GPLv3". I also spoke with Kevin from the Mothership a
couple of times about this issue, and AFAIK there is not intention to
restrict the use / remix of the documentation in this way - ie using with
other so called free culture content such as Wikipedia. Here are a few
links:

   - https://bit.ly/2FQfkvH

Certainly more complicated is the flow back to the mothership for including
the content in the closed source (commercial) distributions - for that we'd
need the CLA, and some sort of care taken to NOT include Wikipedia content
but only completely rewritten content. I'd certainly like to do that - so
getting authors to sign the CLA would be useful to figure out for the
community side of things.

The dictionary uses markdown as the source format.  To be easy to
> integrate, it would be a good idea to use that as the storage/native format
> of contributions.

Yes - within the json we store Github flavoured markdown. It seems to me
that the documentation is not in markdown though?

   -
   https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/docs/dictionary/function/URLEncode.lcdoc