AW: Script Editor Slow on Windows

R.H. roland.huettmann at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 11:03:22 EST 2019

I must also agree that the SE (script editor) in Windows with latest
versions of LiveCode tends to be nearly unusable -- at least for
professional work.

Also, I turn off the messages box when using the SE but using a field
displaying messages instead. I am not using Navigator.

When I add a new handler, in the "end handler" statement of the previous
handler (the handler above) parts of the word "end" are deleted without me
doing anything. It happened not only once.

As many others here, I can also say that I have turned off most helpers
supposed to support with scripting. I type 10 x faster myself and make
corrections than using any of such helpers; they block my workflow even
though I still use automatic indentation. It will probably be a lot of work
to fix this for Windows so that it is not obstructing work instead of
supporting it.

Even I started using a separate text editor (Notepad++) for writing scripts
and I insert the script later into the SE.

The turn-around time between script changes and saving them is way too
long. Turning Defender off does not make a difference for me, but I need to
test more to come to a conclusion.

My main problem is that saving the stack while scripting may take three
times as much time than writing code. I feel like wasting time a lot
waiting for the save process to end. This does not happen with freshly
started stacks, but quickly after inserting more than just 100/200 lines of
code the problem appears. I did not exactly measure when the problem starts
to show up.

Also, I have the feeling that script errors in earlier versions of LiveCode
had been identified better. Regularly, the reported errors are simply
wrong. And often enough, the debugger does not see any error even though
there is one. Kind of a mystery.

I started to use strict mode declaring all variables. It helped a lot. It
should be recommended much more. It adds discipline and clarity and avoids
errors that are hard to detect otherwise. Even beginners can learn it
easily and understanding will even be better.