Refactoring is your friend / moving from 6.x to 9.x

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Fri Jan 4 18:13:37 EST 2019

+1

I'm just elated I can write apps again after such a long drought from Hypercard, and the disappointment I had with Supercard. I personally think LC is what Hypercard should ALWAYS have been, or would have become had Apple had kept it up, or had someone else taken it up. Now I do not develop in Windows or Linux, so there may be/have been some real concerns there. Still, what we can do, what many of us have done is nothing short of breathtaking. My service manager who was rolling his eyes when I told him what I was going to do with Forms Generator is now tickled pink that we can generate forms on demand, on site, that look professional. That app had a lot to do with my present status in the company. I took the job as a copier installer. I'm now the Systems Administrator for the entire comany, and they are training me for Pre-Sales Software Consultation and support.

I just finished a little utility that takes accounting data export from Toshiba copiers and adds up the color and black totals that make some kind of sense (the export file decidedly does NOT make sense) in a great looking interface, and then outputs a PDF report, or a tab delimited txt file for use in Excel. The customer I wrote it for initially had his doubts about our company, but after I sent him that little gem he LOVES us. So does his accounting department who no longer has to cobble all the data together themselves.

The time it took to do all this would have been unthinkable in a C derivative or in a Java based environment. Never mind all the new features and updates I've been adding all along. Some may think I'm overstating my case, but I think Livecode stands alone in development environments for speedy development and ease of use.

Bob S