Refactoring is your friend / moving from 6.x to 9.x

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Jan 3 13:20:49 EST 2019

On 2019-01-03 12:13, Malte Pfaff-Brill via use-livecode wrote:
> It might be that I stand corrected for the behaviour of lock / unlock
> screen.
> But then I also stand puzzled on the effect it has between engines.
> Same code which redrew the screen within 2.5 seconds on the 5.x series
> took 11 secs in 8/9. After debugging libraries. Being used to make
> sure that lock screens no longer nested brought this down to 1.5
> seconds. Rest of the code left unchanged! I really do not get it. That
> said, I am pretty happy with the fact. I only wish I would have
> found/tried this earlier.

I wonder if this is combination of one too many unlock screens (so the
screen wasn't actually locked for the whole process you timed); and
having a Retina screen...

If so, in 5.x the screen was probably being redrawn when you didn't
intend also, but it was rendering 1/4 of the number of pixels so took
1/4 of the time or thereabouts (5.x would have been rendering to a 1/4
size buffer which was then upscaled by the OS to full-resolution Retina;
it was only 6.x+ which started to render to a full-retina resolution
window buffer on retina displays).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps