Weird LiveCode Plugins Prefs writing problems

William Prothero waprothero at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 18:04:55 EST 2019

Problem solved, but first:
I found that BitDefender kept deleting the “Safe Application” setting for “Livecode Business 9.0.2”, so it blocked writing to the Devo Prefs file. The OS wouldn’t let me delete the library files associated with BitDefender. I also found that there were un-fixable errors in my boot drive, which is an SSD drive. I wanted to delete all anti-virus files and CleanMyMac, which contained both version 3 and X. I also needed to deal with the boot drive disc errors, which DiskUtility couldn’t fix. I was going to have to completely erase and reformat the boot drive. Fortunately, my boot drive was still functioning mostly normally.

First I booted my computer from an external drive that I had created a couple of weeks ago using SuperDuper. Then I deleted all Library files related to BitDefender and CleanMyMac. I think I got all of them, but may have missed something.

Next I created a disc image big enough to hold all of my boot drive content (on an external drive), so I could restore it after reformatting. I used SuperDuper to copy my boot drive content to the disc image. Then I reformatted my original boot drive and after that, used SuperDuper to copy the disc image contents back to my original boot drive.

I checked that the Devo prefs were being updated correctly, and yes, they were. Problem solved.

I’m a bit afraid to leave off a virus protection program though. Anybody have recommendations?

Best,
Bill