Groups in the message path: Trapping Mouseup

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Mon Dec 9 12:28:48 EST 2019

On 12/9/19 6:30 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:
> In this use case,
>
> - the button "starWidget"  is a "standalone" button on an independent layer on the card  and not a part of any group
> -- @Jacque... the groups that are trapping the mouseup I are background groups using on various card.
>
> Mark Weider says "A background group will definitely get the message before the stack
> script does. Also any script being used as a behavior."
>
> BR: is this "really" expected behavior? gosh, I hope not! "Encapsulation"would mean

If you set a group to have background behavior then it sits above the
stack layer in the message path (or below, depending on how you view the
layers). At any rate, messages will hit the background group before the
stack script sees them. That's the way it is, the way it has always
been, and the way the path was designed from the start. If you want
something different you need to rethink your stack design.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com