setting file created date in livecode from script

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 15 01:01:38 EDT 2019

Stephen Barncard wrote:

 > Why? because several years ago $@$#$@#$@'ing  dropbox, without my
 > permission, started changing not only filenames but DATES in a huge
 > swath of precious photos in  a particularly dishonest way -- they
 > wanted my free account to fill up quickly so I'd have to "upgrade".
 > I know the EXIF tags still exist inside each file, but all the file
 > dates had been changed to the date of copying.
 > Dropbox has been increasingly piggish lately - not allowing more than
 > 3 machines on the free account.
 > It's a mess.  This does not endear me to these greedy people.

1. How does changing the date affect their space quota?

2. Dropbox policies have become too FUBAR for me to spend time with
anymore.  For example, I have no files in my account, and recently got a
notice saying I was out of disk space and needed to pay them for an
upgrade.  That shouldn't be possible.  But it turns out they count files
shared with you against both the account where the file originates and
yours tool - even though the file exists in only one location. #doubledip

3. This means a really hack to annoy people: just put a really big file
in your account and share it with anyone you don't like.  Since it'll
count against their quota, you've just prevented them from being able to
add anything else to their account.  #insane

4. You can liberate yourself:  https://nextcloud.com/

I met the project founder, Frank Karlitschek, when we had him speak at
UbuCon in Pasadena a few years ago.  Great guy, great team, all super
passionate about free and open source software, and leaving the user in
control of their cloud services.

More than just file sharing with one of the best sync mechanisms I've
ever seen, it also includes many dozens of add-on apps for everything
from team management to music streaming to video chat and more.

I have a dedicated Nextcloud server in my office for myself, and another
on a VPS I use with clients and vendors.  With native sync clients for
Mac, Windows, and Linux (and iOS, and Android too), my LiveCode Plugins
folder is kept current no matter which machine I happen to be working
at.  And with its convenient versioning, if I mess up and want to revert
one of my plugins to yesterday's it's a breeze.

Runs on any standard LAMP/WAMP/MAMP server.  And if you're using it on
Ubuntu 18.04 you can install it one line using the new Snap packager.

And you remain in control of everything.

Nope, not in any way affiliate with Nextcloud.  Just a very happy user.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems