Null character in text fields

Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff at me.com
Tue May 29 22:14:25 EDT 2018

Hi,

I have a problem with “funny” characters showing in fields of Chinese text in LC projects on PCs with a Chinese version of Windows (7 & 10) installed. Non-Chinese, standard version of Windows don’t show this. The character displays as a rectangular box. LiveCode 8.3 & 8.9.

When in a script I do:

put nativeCharToNum(char 22 of line 66 of field "Contents”)

it returns “0” (a zero).

The htmlText of the field seems to show an entity:

�

On the Web, I see that char 0 is the null character. A search for � returns no results.

So, I’m going to write a script to replace � with empty in the htmlText. Hopefully this will remove it. Our translator in China will have to test the script to see if it works.

Has anyone seen this before? Or know how it could have sneaked into the text? The original text was brought in from English Word files of 1990s vintage, and modified and translated since then.

It is interesting that these LC/Windows renders this character this way only on Chinese Windows systems, and gives it this HTML entity.

Peter Bogdanoff
ArtsInteractive