Material Design - any plans to allow more granularity in design?

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Wed May 16 10:25:09 EDT 2018

My old familiar rant in this issue.  I now have a "enternal business license"   and we use Livecode for so much in-house stuff… and I have spent $ non-profit money on every offer Kevin has made in ~1999 when he got the company Scott Raney.

So I have right to rant (ha)

Livecode is so for behind the curve of UI/UX design.

It makes going against an HTML5 app a challenge. "But Livecode is clunky, in doesn’t scroll nicely, no serious subtle animations - look in it takes you 10 minute to get text in a button center (play with margins). Your buttons are unresponsive. You can't really develop in Window. You might think of using html5 in a browser, but there so little integration of the LC message path. Look you cannot ever get a function to respond to JS from inside the browser widget! "

I give you two example:

The spiritual work on app done in HTML5

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/apps/spiritual-workout

one done in livecode

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/apps/sivasiva

Now the HTML5 takes forever to build, but builds small features  that are "cool looking" …. but it cannot come close the scope of SivaSiva app.

I reply: "Yes, but for a major app with all feature we need, it will cost me 5 time as much $ in HTML5, take you 5 times a long to finish it an X number of feature you will tell me "can't be done html5"  But to get Korana design in InVision (a designer has done all the layout colors etc. ui is all done) I could gift that widget on Jacqueline she would finish in in three-five days."

Reply I get: "We, we don't care how much is costs. Mobile app are too far ahead of lLvecode, we want to ship a good product, the platform is great for desktop apps but never mobile."

It appears no one really (I know is not true) really tests LC on mobile, especially Android, or Windows, and complains about UI/UX building or responsiveness internally to the team.

If LC would just STOP building new "enterprise features" and "cloud connect stuff"  and spend six months working solely on UI/UX issue… it would bring the platform in the 21st century.

BR

    Over 80% of my work in LiveCode is dedicated to user interface design.