Examples of encryption for database access

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Tue Jun 26 17:37:05 EDT 2018

On 06/25/2018 08:57 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
> One thing this misses is that the IV is not another private key/password. It should be random/different for every use of the key.

True, but for the purpose of Bill's demo it works fine. For that matter,
a 16-bit iv won't get you very far either. I'd be inclined to generate a
large random iv and post it to the server with the encrypted data. But
I'd also worry about putting a database out in the open like this
without good security constraints. Of course, I have no idea what Bill
has in mind here, so ymmv.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com