Tessellated hexagonal grid?

David V Glasgow dvglasgow at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 05:46:30 EDT 2018

Quite a few old school (and a few newer) games use a tessellated hexagonal grid.  Remember Railway Rivals, anyone?

I just started to play around with the idea of a grid using Livecode polygons.  Specifically, a map that can grow organically by sprouting  hexes at the edges.  I was surprised and disappointed to see how tricky it looks to be to do 'on the fly’ i.e. creating and then aligning hexes.

Has anyone else played around with this?  Any advice?  It seems to me that the line of least resistance is to have a huge grid of ready tessellated invisible hexes which can be shown as required.

Best Wishes,
David Glasgow