Optimization can be tricky

Ali Lloyd ali.lloyd at livecode.com
Tue Jun 12 04:08:53 EDT 2018

Hi Geoff,

One thing to try in your original code, which should be significantly
faster if the array is big, is using

> repeat for each key T in interestArray[uID]

instead of

> repeat for each line T in the keys of interestArray[uID]

The latter has to allocate memory for a string containing all the keys, AND
iterate through the lines of that string, whereas repeating for each
key directly
accesses the keys of the array in hash order, and thus no extra allocation
will occur and the iteration is faster than finding the next line delimiter
each time.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 8:35 AM Clarence Martin via use-livecode <