Differences between Commercial and Community versions of LiveCode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 5 15:16:51 EDT 2018

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > Recently I ran off a very simple standalone with the Indy and the
 > Community version of LC 8.1.9
 > and cracked both of them open with a text editor.
 >
 > In neither of the standalones could I access the code.
 >
 > Presumably this means that a standalone generated with the Community
 > version cannot be
 > reverse-engineered in such a way that its original code can be read?

Binding the stack to the runtime engine makes the source difficult to
access, and the objects impossible to modify.

The requirement of GPL-governed works is that source code is available
in a form that allows modification.

I would not imagine requiring end-users to sift through bits of a binary
executable would satisfy any definition of GPL compliance.

Either the source stack files are made available to any user of the
executable who wants them, or the entity distributing the executable is
in violation of LiveCode Ltd's copyright.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems