Do widgets support introspection?

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Jan 10 12:44:52 EST 2018

On 2018-01-10 18:34, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> Dunno. It's a mystery to me. I'm just working off Ali's comments in
> the PR. Can you guarantee then that widgets must always be distributed
> with a manifest.xml file? Or equivalent?
>
> https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/commit/397deb26d7c0f93d4461bb36e292f8bafd5b0a5c
>
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=30264

I can't guarantee there will be a separate file in the future
necessarily, nor something human-readable (the manifest.xml is actually
generated mechanically from the data in the compiled module file and
combined with the metadata statements in the source file).

However, as has been highlighted here, we do need to add a nice, simple,
stable API which returns an array describing a control's public API to
the IDE library. There is an API which does it in a form suitable for
the property inspector, but that's not quite as succinct.

So I can guarantee we will add a function 'ideDescribeControl' or some
such which would return an array listing the controls properties with
full type information and associated metadata so plugins don't have to
rely on fettling with internal details.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps