[off] Apple to unify ios/macos apps next year

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jan 2 15:09:44 EST 2018

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > I'm not saying our hackles shouldn't be raised, I'm simply proposing
 > that if conclusive proof existed which undeniably indicted Kaspersky
 > of this kind of activity,

When you read the details of the reports you'll see the "conclusive
proof" part is going to be hard to get publicly.  This involves the
national security of multiple nations, so they're not inclined to
divulge sources.

I haven't yet read anything from a non-government source confirming
these claims, but that may not be surprising given the level of
sophistication possible.  For example, all AV software requires admin
privileges, and they all update themselves.  So who can say whether the
copy of Kaspersky I run is the same as what someone would be running
from a known block of government IP addresses?

There are many ways such software could be difficult for the public to
get "conclusive proof" about.

If someone wants to install Kaspersky it doesn't matter to me, as long
as they're neither my employee or contractor.  At least one of my
clients is a federal contractor, so I have to run a clean ship.

Besides, it's not like there's a shortage of reasonably good AV software
out there.  I can just use anything that isn't hosted on
Kremlin-controlled networks.

 > it would result in the demise of Kaspersky as a company,

In progress:

Kaspersky Lab: D.C. office ‘no longer viable’ and will close
<https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/08/kaspersky-lab-d-c-office-no-longer-viable-and-will-close/>

 > and Russia would lose a key source of Signals Intelligence.

That seems to be the goal.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems