Musings on Architect, MVC, Nested Behaviors

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Dec 27 13:21:06 EST 2018

The issue is remote debugging. Script only stacks save nothing but scripts.
Breakpoints are stored as custom properties which are lost when the stack
is saved as part of a standalone, so when testing a mobile app they are
gone and the debugger is unavailable.

I've heard you can insert hard-coded breakpoint commands in the script
instead but I haven't tried that yet. (Then you need to track them down and
remove them when they are no longer needed.) Another way, which I did try,
is to insert a temporary red dot breakpoint into the binary stack script
and then step into the handlers in the script only stack from there, but in
my case that meant stepping over a few hundred lines, which was tedious,
and then when I got to the handler in question, the erroring line took over
and ran to the end without stopping.

I'd heard that once the debugger is triggered you should be able to add new
temporary breakpoints dynamically, but when I tried that after stepping
into the script only stack it didn't work. This was before the fix that
removed the ghosted remote scripts, so maybe it would work now.

At any rate, remote debugging a script only stack isn't easy and is
sometimes impossible.
Jacqueline Landman Gay | jacque at hyperactivesw.com
On December 26, 2018 10:51:25 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode