Windows: "not responding"

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Tue Aug 14 17:31:38 EDT 2018

I recently ran a Windows app from a major publisher that used a very big
percentage of both the CPU and the GPU (my computer didn't meet the
minimum specs) without any complaints at all from the OS. High CPU, but
totally responsive. Worked just fine.

And that's one tiny snowflake on the tip of the iceberg. There are so
many Win apps that handle intensive processing tasks without a hitch. So
it's not a matter of apps being unable to crunch data on PCs. There may
be very compelling and knowledgeable reasons why it's been a problem
here, maybe it is even a Windows hurdle, but still we must acknowledge
what our eyes can see, that Windows is not lacking for serious apps of
all types that can deliver serious performance.

So I too would love to see the engine get some tweaks for Windows. And
Windows is a great place for LiveCode, probably an underutilized market.
It wouldn't hurt to bring more PC customers into the fold.

Meanwhile, most LC scripts can be way more optimized than what they are.
Standard scripting techniques are not good enough! I also use a budget
PC and an aging Mac for my regular work, so I usually see any
performance issues nearer to the beginning of a project, unless I'm
caught out by using a sample data set that's too small.

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
LiveCode Training and Consulting