Regaining IDE Efficiency: Property Inspector

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Thu Aug 9 19:07:38 EDT 2018

Monte:

 > We really need a single report per issue.

Howdy Monte! Whatever you need is absolutely fine with me, feel free to
parse and slice/dice this into any number of pieces with my blessing.

However I myself will NOT be filing dozens or hundreds of report;
impossible. I wasn't kidding or exaggerating the slightest bit about not
having time for that; wish I did, but think of it ... I've been waiting
for a whole YEAR just for the chance to get this first list done, and
now it's done! Mark wanted some specifics and here they are.

Also this is very much a gift to LiveCode, perhaps far more to your own
benefit, not just a selfish request of my own.

 > with recipe on how to reproduce

Each is described clearly, with all the info actually needed.

 > it would be great if we had more Brian Milbys ...
 > around that like to jump in and get involved.

Yes it would! I heartily agree with you, amazing and greatly appreciated
when people contribute, and I wish it were possible for me to donate
more time to LC. (Beyond the 10 hours this list has taken to test and
compile, and many dozens devoted to producing reports on LC 7 issues
during that transition.)

But right now it's just not physically (or temporally) possible for me.
I have less free time and a bigger todo list than it might be possible
for you to imagine. I'm sorry about that.

But perhaps that would make more sense if I pointed out that YOU also
are not donating time working on MY code either! :) However, if you're
short of people, I certainly would be available for some part-time paid
work on the IDE, and highly likely to improve on some of what you have
there. I know my stuff.

 > IDE usability niggles

Ha! I think the visible face of LiveCode that every user sees, along
with the level of efficiency provided for doing useful tasks with it,
might just rise to a slightly different phrase than "niggles." That got
a real-life audible chuckle out of me just now! Wow. Still chuckling.
That'll keep me smiling for a bit.

Anyway, thank you sincerely for your comments and attention. I would
love to see these issues improved, and there's no possible doubt that
fixing the IDE would certainly be at the very minimum 100% as much to
your benefit (and likely far, far more to yours) as it would be to my
own. Not to mention all the others here. LC is a very special product,
and we have a very special love for it. What a difference it makes in
our lives! There's nothing that comes anywhere close to it. So I'd love
to see the UI 100% back on its feet again. The love is real. I have to
wrap up this reporting now and get back to my normal tasks which are
piling up as we speak. Keep up the great work!!

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy

Custom Software Development
LiveCode Training and Consulting