Start using stack - Loading stack libraries

Stephen MacLean smaclean at madmansoft.com
Mon Aug 6 08:13:44 EDT 2018

> On Aug 6, 2018, at 8:05 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> On 8/5/2018 11:29 PM, Stephen MacLean via use-livecode wrote:
>> @ Paul, they are different, based upon the type of build that needs to happen for the source that is being looked at. The code has one handler name that is the same (The init code in the builder), but after that the code is different.
>
> Some where, you have a conditional or switch statements to decide what
> library to load based on the "source". File I/O is always slower than
> most anything else in a computer these days. So if you load all the
> libraries and use the switch/if/etc. to just change what library
> routines are called based on the "source" rather than change what is
> read from disk, you will reduce any (if there are any) memory leaks
> issues and speed up your work. It's up to you as I, of course, have no
> idea what your code looks like or even what you're doing.
>
> I get the impression that each library has many routines that have the
> same name (as in other libraries) but do different things. It may be
> more effort that any performance gain is worth to have to rename all
> those routines and adjust code so they can be all loaded at once.

You are correct, same name, but do different things. Each has routines that are self-contained, and only rely on core functions that are at the main stack level.

I’ve read that there is something like a 50 stack limit that can be loaded at one time, which is why I initially went this way. Do you know if that is still the case?

> Ultimately, the best way to determine if your approach to loading and
> unloading libraries in volume is to construct a quality assurance test -
> get or generate a while pile of "sources" and run them through on a test
> system and see what happens.

In this process now and hoping to see good results with the way it is, but always looking to improve.

Thx!

Steve