[OT] The problem with programming and how to fix it

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sun Aug 5 17:35:22 EDT 2018

Hmmmm - I think that is missing the point about what the current 'AI' technologies that exist actually do (as far as I can see anyway - I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong!)...

They are merely mappings from one form input to another form of input - they themselves don't do any action - the actions still have to be implemented somehow.

Alexa for example by itself does diddly-squat beyond map voice to a lower level actionable command (with an element of context, certainly which makes it slightly interesting) - it's the skills that people 'like us' implement which actually do the thing Alexa interprets that we want to be done.

Same with google assistant, siri, wolfram alpha, even google search - I can type 'what is 100 usd in gbp' and it gives me the answer.

However the reason google search can do that is because some programmer at google has added a hook which knows that when that pattern is searched for it should call a program that has been explicitly written which looks up the current exchange rate and then renders the result in a nicely formatted string which appears at the top of the search results.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone