valueDiff for arrays?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Aug 4 12:33:12 EDT 2018

Mark Waddingham wrote:

 > In general coding things in C++ in the engine should be strictly
 > reserved for things where it is *absolutely* required - and in this
 > case, I don't see an absolute requirement in this case (yet!).
 >
 > This would be fundamental operations, and the interconnection with
 > things where doing it in LCS or LCB is not feasible or cannot produce
 > the fidelity required to do it.

Agreed.  This one's not at all hard to write, just floated the idea to
see if others saw it suitable to add to the "convenience" functions
already in the language, such as:

 > All array operations in LiveCode (union, intersect etc.) can all be
 > written precisely (as in replicating exact functionality of the
 > engine) in LCS.

LC has a few things like that. It was nice to see "difference" added to
that suite fairly recently.

Adding more such commands to operate on values instead of just keys
would be handy, but not at all necessary.  There are more pressing
concerns that only the engine team can implement, and scripting in
LiveCode is something every LiveCode scripter can do.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems