Contributing to the IDE

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Apr 20 04:49:50 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-20 10:39, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode wrote:
> ​Sorry, one other point: yes, you are correct, working from a pre-built
> distribution is exactly the question I was asking, and if the only
> issue is
> syncing the IDE files with the development versions, that seems like a
> small issue: many of the files at
> https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/tree/develop/Toolset/libraries
> are
> months to years from their last update. Ditto for
> https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/tree/develop/Toolset/palettes/script%20editor/behaviors.
> That
> makes it seem as though it would absolutely be possible to work on the
> IDE
> in the current 9.x release, with the caveat that merge conflicts would
> be
> *slightly* more likely. ​
>
> Or am I missing something?

Yes - my point about the engine and IDE versions being mutually
dependent :)

There is every chance that the develop-9.0 HEAD IDE *WILL NOT WORK* with
the release-9.0.0 engine - if you can't run the IDE, you can't edit it,
or check your changes do what you want.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps