Contributing to the IDE

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Fri Apr 20 04:47:51 EDT 2018

> On 20 Apr 2018, at 6:29 pm, Geoff Canyon via use-livecode <use-livecode at lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Are older versions closed to changes? If I find a bug in LC 8.1.8 (or
> some update to it) is it pointless to fix the bug and submit a pull request?

If it is still present on the maintenance release branch (currently develop-9.0) then fix against that and it will be in the next maintenance release.

> 2. Is it fair to submit IDE pull requests the same way I might for the
> documentation? I.E., GitHub was perfectly happy to fork https://github.com/
> livecode/livecode-ide/edit/develop/Toolset/palettes/menubar/revmenubar.
> livecodescript for me, so it seems that if I update it, I could submit a
> pull request for it, without having built anything. Obviously that beheads
> a significant fraction of git's functionality, but it gets the job done,
> correct?

I’m fairly sure Bernd implements stuff using his current install of LC locally then then makes a patch with that using the github web ui. Am I right Bernd? I think the web interface is significantly harder and more confusing to use personally but that could be just me. It’s also not possible to do things like fix up commit messages.

Cheers

Monte