A modest proposal for a new property

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 27 12:14:14 EDT 2017

hh wrote:

 >> Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> > Mark Wieder wrote:
 >> > That's the point where I stopped trying to do pie charts in
 >> > LiveCode.
 >> > Worse: try to set a tooltip showing the percentage under the
 >> > cursor.
 >>
 >> Multiple graphic objects?
 >
 > Sadly no. This simply doubles the problem.
 > The pie chart was the cause I made the mentioned "pointInShape"-stack.
 > There it is done by computing a math relation for the arc, but would
 > be easier to see by a points-path, that describeds the outline of the
 > pie.

I think it depends on what one wants to do.

For a great many cases your chart widget would be a perfect fit, and I
appreciate your sharing it.

But in Microsoft Excel, LibreOffice Calc, and others, the various arcs
that comprise a pie chart are handled as separate vector objects, giving
us the opportunity to pull one out to draw attention to it, or adjust
its graphic properties separate from the others.

If the bug Mark Wieder described were addressed, all that plus accurate
hit testing would be easily accomplished with existing objects.

If one were to replicate that part of LC's graphics-manipulation
subsystem inside of a widget (allowing the pointer tool to handle
elements of a pie chart separately, allowing all of the graphics
properties we have to be applied to specific interior objects, etc.) it
would seem an ambitious task.

For the most common use cases your widget seems a good option.

For other cases it seems also worth pursuing the hit-testing bug with
graphics.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems