[OT] Hello World

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 5 14:03:11 EDT 2017

https://s3-eu-west-1.[LINK_ALTERED_FOR_SAFETY].com/rpi-magazines/issues/full_pdfs/000/000/004/original/HelloWorld03.pdf?1504167546
 >> Richmond Mathewson.
 > It wasn't Richmond, it was your full name. And I DO know what's wrong
 > because my boss, after many urgings not to click the link, clicked the
 > link, and encrypted all the files on our files server. Sure we had a
 > backup, so we recovered all the files but the ones since the last
 > backup.

@Bob: I think I missed something.  Is the link given above dangerous?
I've altered it for safety here, but it would be unusual if it were.

The link is direct to a PDF (a format which is not entirely without its
risks I suppose) but isn't embedded within a page that has JavaScript.
Indeed, it's not an an HTML page at all.

So does the PDF itself contain ransomware, and if so which variant?  And
how quickly after clicking the link did the encrypting begin?  I opened
that PDF in Chrome an hour ago.  I have multiple backups, but it would
be helpful to know if I need to budget time today to prepare for recovery.

If not, what link are you referring to?

@Richmond: why do you suppose the publisher doesn't have a domain name?

--
  Richard Gaskin