Call for Speakers 2018

Mark Wieder ahsoftware at sonic.net
Fri Oct 27 14:01:21 EDT 2017

On 10/27/2017 04:36 AM, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
> The main question is how do we make all of us more
> comfortable with the code so we all feel more comfortable diving in, doing
> things, and therefore expanding the IDE developer group.

The main problem I see with working on the IDE components is that
they're quite interdependent and tightly coupled. For years now we've
had the carrot dangled in front of us that "soon" the IDE will be just a
framework to which autonomous components will attach. But the fact
remains that the script editor, debugger, tool palette, property editor,
menubar, etc, all rely on not only each others' existence, but also the
existence and operation of certain features, e.g., when an IDE library
frontscript sends a mouseUp message to button x of the tool palette.

The pubsub mechanism now in the IDE is a big step forward to relieving
this situation, but it's artificially crippled and thwarts anything
other than putting bandages on a legacy structure that dates back two
decades.

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com