Interview wtth inventor of hypercard Bill Atkinson

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 13:36:51 EDT 2017

For every single Shakespeare play barring "The Merry Wives of Windsor"
there is a play that Shakespeare "ripped-off".

So, does that make him a plagiarist and a prize plonker?

No, it doesn't, for the simple reason that the plays he ripped-off had
crap dialogues and were second or third-rate:

Auld Willie rejigged the dialogues, rejhigged the plots and produced
marvellous things: he, to coin a phrase

"did make silk purses out of pigs' ears".

So, even if Bill Atkinson either intentionally or unintentionally
ripped-off IBM's "whatever"
(rather in the same sort of way MetaCard was a rip-off of
Hypercard!!!!!!!!!),

his Hypercard was something rather better,

as the rip-off or HyperCard with a new front-end strapped on the front
(i.e. LiveCode) is a bigger and
better beast than either Hypercard or MetaCard ever were.

While plagiarism is plagiarism is plagiarism is 100% shameless rip-off,

plagiarism is JUST copying with nothing added or improved on,m

and Hypercard, MetaCard and Revolution/LiveCode are not JUST copies,

in each case there have been both incremental and large leaps which have
taken
them well beyond what they were supposedly "ripping off".

Oh, and while we're here:

in 1989 I was able to use a Windowing GUI on a BBC Master Compact that
looked very similar indeed to what Apple was pushing
at that time;

both "ripped off" from IBM.

Later on Microsoft, supposedly, ripped the Windows 95 GUI from Mac, and
the Linux distros just helped themselves.

Should we care?

No, we shouldn't, because all that will happen is that a load of lawyers
will get fat through pursuing parasitical
legal cases.

Let's just be VERY GRATEFUL indeed that people such as Bill Atkinson,
Scott Rossi and Kevin Miller didn't
spend hours agonising over nonsense like this and just got on with the
job, whether on drugs at the time or not.

Richmond.