[ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-3

hlowe hlowe at me.com
Fri Oct 6 20:06:01 EDT 2017

Mark,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Overall the current strategy appears
sound. I took a look at Apple's developer info on this topic today and they
state:

"Slicing is the process of creating and delivering variants of the app
bundle for different target devices. A variant contains only the executable
architecture and resources that are needed for the target device. You
continue to develop and upload full versions of your app to iTunes Connect.
The App Store will create and deliver different variants based on the
devices your app supports. Xcode simulates slicing during development so you
can create and test variants locally. Xcode slices your app when you build
and run your app on a device or in Simulator."

I compared the size of my iOS app directly installed onto an iPhone 6S (iOS
11, set to run on iOS 10.3 or later) using Xcode 9.0 - with 64 bit slice
only (8.1.7 RC-2) and with both 64 bit and 32 bit slices (8.1.7 RC-3). The
universal binary on the phone is approximately twice as large as the 64 bit
version. I have not found any way to check app size in the simulator.

Henry