Beginners Guide?

JOHN PATTEN johnpatten at me.com
Fri Oct 6 12:37:22 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I’m going to be doing some short introductions to some of our teachers about LiveCode. I was reviewing the support resources, specifically the Beginners Guide. The info seems to need a bit of an update. Is there another link with a more current Beginners Guide?

i.e..

General
To use LiveCode you will need:

1024×768 or larger monitor
True color display (16-bit or 32-bit depth)
At least 256Mb of memory
At least 150Mb of disk space (is this still accurate?)
Windows
LiveCode supports the following versions of Windows:

Windows 2000 SP4
Windows XP SP2 and above
Windows Server 2003
Windows Vista SP1 and above (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows Server 2008
Windows 8 and 8.1 Desktop
Additionally, QuickTime 7 or later is required for most multimedia features.

Mac OS X
LiveCode supports the following versions of Mac OS X:

10.3.9 (Panther) on PowerPC
10.4.11 (Tiger) on Intel and PowerPC
10.5.8 and later (Leopard) on Intel and PowerPC
10.6.x (Snow Leopard) on Intel
10.7.x (Lion)
10.8.x (Mountain Lion)
10.9.x (Mavericks)
10.10 (Yosemite)
Linux
The minimal requirements for LiveCode to run on Linux are:

32-bit installation, or a 64-bit linux distribution that has a 32-bit compatibility layer
2.4.x or later kernel
glibc 2.3.2 or later X11R5 capable Xserver running locally on a 24-bit display
compositing window manager (optional – required for alpha-blended window shapes)
gtk/gdk/glib (optional – required for native theme support)
pango/xft (optional – required for pdf printing, anti-aliased text and unicode font support)
lcms (optional – required for color profile support in JPEGs and PNGs)
gksu (optional – required for elevate process support)
mplayer (optional – required for video playback)
esd (optional – required for audio playback)
Thank  you!

John Patten
SUSD