not really OT: The Coming Software Apocalypse

Lagi Pittas iphonelagi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 09:41:55 EDT 2017

I posted a link to Bret Victor in may (and forgot the link like Mark).
I thought there would be more feedback but the only one was a request by
Richmond for the link.

I didn't expand on this - but my reasoning is that we are partly there and
as Herman suggests using LCB certain of the "algorithm design" methods
could be scripted, (by better men than me .. Mark, Ali, Monte - i'm looking
at you).

Chris Granger an ex Microsoftie was inspired by the talk  and created a
kickstarter for LIGHTTABLE which was to be something like Bret Victor's
concepts. The aim was $200,000 he got $360,000. The initial version was
based on the Closure language but they then added Python and JS because of
popularity. He then Open sourced it at version 0.6 and I think it is
basically dead - Nice work if you can get it.

There is pent up demand for something like it - Apples Playground for swift
goes much of the  way but Swift ain't Livecode.

Just the implementation of the Binary search Functionality would be a
brilliant first step for debugging logic in our functions or procedures -
the animation could come afterwards but HHs suggestion could be food for
thought.

Regards L:agi

<snip>

OOPS!!
https://vimeo.com/36579366

On 25 May 2017 at 12:33, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
<use-livecode at lists.runrev.com

>* Can you post the URL to that video, please?
*>>* Richmond.