Writing Extensions

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri May 19 04:16:05 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-18 22:08, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> On 05/18/2017 10:57 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
>> The point is the whole problem can be sufficiently solved quite well
>> with better tooling (which we are aware we need to work on); and in
>> the
>> future can be solved completely using a little bit of cleverness and
>> exploiting the way LCB has been implemented.
>
> Cool. That sounds promising.

Indeed, thinking a little more laterally about the problem of binary
module compatibility then there are actually two sides here:

1) The community edition side

2) The commercial edition side.

In the case of (1), the engine is GPL. This means that any extensions
used in community, must be GPL too (or dual-licensed, if it is to be
allowed to be used in Commercial). GPL apps need to give access to the
source (widgets built with community already include the source). This
means that compilation can happen on installation of the widget; there's
actually no need for compilation to occur before this point (beyond
checking that everything is present in the extension which is needed to
compile it). So this would solve the problem in Community.

In the case of (2), then we definitely need to do something before
commercial widgets become common-place - I agree :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps