[ANN] tinyDictionary

BNig bernd.niggemann at uni-wh.de
Thu Mar 23 16:33:33 EDT 2017

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote
> Then please also make sure to submit this to Edinburgh.  I want this to be
> my official dictionary.

Thanks Bob,

I think the LiveCode people did a pretty good job reorganizing the
dictionary. The new dictionary, once getting used to it, offers the
different dictionaries in a structured way.

It takes just a lot of screen estate if you don't use a 28 inch monitor.

The scope of tinyDictionary is different: a bare bone dictionary for
developers who know what they are looking for.

So I will not submit this to Edinburgh.

I wrote tinyDictionary also because we had quite some suggestions for
community projects that did not materialize. I wanted to give it a try and
see how far I would get. There was helpful input from the community, not all
of it made it into tinyDict.

The Livecode Dictionary has other problems: more than 3000 files that need
some attention/correction/reformatting. Luckily not all of them but there
are enough. If you find some funny stuff in tinyDictionary please check
against the LiveCode dictionary whether it also looks funny there. Then you
have a good chance to look at an entry that needs care.

Devin Asay is doing a tremendous job at correcting the dictionary.
This could really be something where other native speakers of the community
could help. It is tedious, you have to learn the format and you have to get
familiar with GitHub. But even GitHub is doable :)

>> I want this to be my official dictionary.

That is very easy, just rename the stack to myTinyOfficialDictionary :)

I will upload new versions to Livecodeshare as needed. This should get you
there
http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/825/

Kind regards
Bernd