UI design problem

tbodine bodine at bodinetraininggames.com
Sun Mar 5 15:52:27 EST 2017

Thanks Jim.

Jim Lambert wrote
> Presumably text in the field is editable by the user.
> Therefore the field text cannot be locked and mousedowns will be used for
> text selection rather than grabbing of the entire field, correct?
>
> Is the field user resizable?

A right-click toggles the text field between being editable-text or a
movable block of text, but there are no resize handles on the text field.
The image, however, has resize handles.

When text and image overlap, I use the mousechar to figure out the user's
intent. (If the user clicked on  blank space, I treat that as an image click
and pass the click through to the image control to make it movable. If the
user clicked on headline text or the space between words, then the text
block becomes movable.)

I narrowed my original issue down to this: "grab" doesn't work for a
mousedown that is passed through to another object. So I bailed on "grab"
and I'm using the mouseStillDown message to make either the text or image
follow the mouse until released.

Spent way to much time on this!

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Tom