E.T.

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 11:47:50 EDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 1:25 AM, Phil Davis via use-livecode <

> You could distribute your product on flash drives and require that they be
> plugged in during use. Each flash drive (thumb drive, whatever) has a
> unique ID in its firmware that the OS (and therefore LC) can access

These scheme went away for a reason:  they cost more users that they
created revenue.

The extreme case was the death of visicalc to Lotus 1-2-3.  it wasn't
because of any program edger or feature; it was that visicalc refused to
make it installable on hard disk, as they would lose their floppy-based
copy protection . . . (most of these used a deliberate "flaw" that would
cause an error that could be checked; many Apple ][ schemes wrote on
half-tracks, and I think it was visicalc that burned holes in the media
with lasers at specified points]
--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462