Compiling LiveCode on Sierra

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sat Jul 29 04:44:43 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-29 07:11, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
> Is it possible to compile the LiveCode IDE on Mac OS 10.12.6?

Yes - some of us (at LiveCode) use 10.11, some 10.12. We also have a
10.9 machine which is more of a 'hot-desk'. (One of our test machines is
10.10 IIRC, so we have all bases covered). [ Panos has also recently
setup a 10.13 beta machine - not liking some of the crash reports we are
seeing there - one wonders what Apple are doing with that! ].

> I tried to follow the instructions on GitHub.  I have the Xcode
> versions
> downloaded.  I had to use sudo to get the setup_xcode_sdks.sh to
> finish.
> First pass was missing Java, so went back and installed that.  Was able
> configure, but build complains about a missing SDK.  Finally got it to
> point where I saw an error message that the earliest SDK that could be
> built against is 10.11 so I tried to edit some files and try again.  It
> got
> further, but failed somewhere in the Skia library.

We currently support the engine source being compiled against the 10.9
SDK - but I think it *should* compile against 10.11 SDK and 10.12 SDK (I
believe Ali made some tweaks to ensure the latter lately).

Recent versions of Xcode have a setting in an internal plist to (by
default) ignore the 10.9 SDK - this can be solved by:

"edit (with Xcode) the MinimumSDKVersion key value in
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Info.plist"

[ Taken from here : https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/43381 ]

Of course, you'll need to grab the 10.9 SDK from an older version of
Xcode. Apple being Apple don't make these easily available (because, of
course, if you are using the latest Xcode then you can't be using a
project which has to also compile on older Xcodes for testing purposes
as, obviously, everyone in the Apple world always has the latest OS
don't they! Ahem).

Hope this helps - if not it might be worth trying to capture the
attention of one of us on gitter.io (LiveCode channel) so we can help
diagnose the issues in 'real-time'.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. None of us tend to sit on gitter.io - we can only process so many
simultaneous inputs - however gitter does send email notifications when
someone posts something on there and usually it doesn't take too long
for one of us to notice (weekends, notwithstanding!).

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps