E.T.

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Sat Jul 29 04:34:46 EDT 2017

On 2017-07-29 09:53, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> I would suppose I need that software to "phone home" and check itself
> against a list (text document)
> or something so that only 5 copies can function "out there", and if a
> 6th version phones home it
> will do a "Peter Graves" and self-destruct.
>
> Obviously this needs the end-user to have an active internet
> connexion, at least when the program is
> initially installed . . .

There are tools which exist (I'd provide links to examples, but my
google-fu is failing me tonight) which when given a compiled application
(LiveCode standalones will work fine), will wrap it up in something
which will control the number of simultaneous uses on a local network.

It might be a good solution in your case. Indeed, there are some
organisations (such as universities) which actually use them themselves
on the software they purchase in multi-user settings in order to ensure
they can strictly conform to licensing requirements.

Hopefully someone else can find the right phrase to google to point you
in the right direction!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Writing a system which you propose is perfectly possible - in
LiveCode - the IDE does this (for example - although our solution is
very specific and not general). However, it isn't an inconsiderable
amount of work - particularly as users tend to get a little 'vexed' if
the system breaks at any point (even for short periods!).

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps