Web vs Native (was Re: HTML5 limitations?)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Jul 26 12:07:35 EDT 2017

J. Landman Gay wrote:

 > In my case, the app is courseware and students are complaining they
 > want it to work on their mobile devices. Some don't have laptops and
 > don't want to use the computer lab.

That's an interesting subset.  Do you have a feel for what percentage of
that audience doesn't have a laptop?

 > The options are to create mobile apps or alternately
 > run it in the mobile browser.
 >
 > The app currently isn't suitable for either, but I think a mobile app
 > would be easier. Regardless, it would still need a major rewrite.

Amen to that, sister.  As we consider HTML export there's one aspect I
don't see discussed often, but is a key driver for the desirability of
web apps as you noted:  web layouts MUST be responsive, adjusting
themselves for any and all screen sizes.

Historically most LC projects tend to use separate layouts for mobile
and desktop, but on the web users expect responsive design and will
abandon or complain about sites that don't adjust gracefully to the
confines of their device size.

This is now more than two years old:

     85% of web users believe a company’s mobile website should be
     just as good as or better than their desktop site.
<https://www.zaginteractive.com/insights/april-2015/responsive-web-design-is-essential-in-2015>

In addition to layout, control sizes and types are also considerations,
since most desktop apps use controls that are appropriate for the
precision of a pointer but are too small for touch, or rely on mouse
behaviors like mouseEnter and mouseWithin that don't exist in touch systems.

 > The client also doesn't want to deal with Apple's 30% cut and they
 > already  have their own registration system. So we may be out of luck.

Yes, with iOS we still have no choice.  For macOS you're in good
company: developers are reporting more revenue, better customer
engagement. and less hassle ignoring Apple's app store and just selling
direct as we always have.

Survey Suggests Mac Developers Continue to Be Dissatisfied With Mac App
Store
<https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/15/mac-app-store-developer-survey/>

Why Do Developers Keep Leaving the Mac App Store?
<http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/developers-keep-leaving-mac-app-store/>

Mac Developers Survey Results
Selling on the App Store VS Building Your Own Theme Park
<https://devmate.com/mac-dev-survey>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems