Bug 20117: new rc2 sets a backdrop, and preferences for same

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 15:31:00 EDT 2017

"Assault" . . . Woof.

"The screen seizure indicates a mindset catering to the simplistic,
unsophisticated, and non-programming user"

Well . . .

I'm not sure why favouring a backdrop blocking out a desktop indicates
that one is 'simplistic' . . .

Until I went to the US in 1993 I had never seen a GUI except for a
really awful attempt at one on a BBC Micro;
but I was perfectly capable of doing distinctly non-simplistic stuff
with FORTRAN, PASCAL, BASIC and so on.

Recently I started a group of kids on a summer programming course with
BBC BASIC on a load of
BBC Micro computers: very effective and lots of fun was had all round.

There are front-ends for Linux available that do NOT splatter the screen
with icons and other screen 'furniture' (docks and so on)
for people who prefer things that way: I don't suppose they are either
simplistic or unsophisticated.

Personally I don't like using a backdrop with LiveCode, but I can see
its use to the extent that my Devawriter Pro has an in-built
backdrop for those who want one.

"non-programming user"

My Mum uses a laptop running Xubuntu 14.04 where her desktop is gaily
peppered with icons and a dock; while she is
neither simplistic nor unsophisticated she is most definitely a
non-programming user.

For a lawyer you seem remarkably . . . [well, there we are, I'll leave
you to fill in the dots].

NOW . . . to be sensible . . .

Let us imagine when starting up LiveCode for the first time we are
presented with a menu window that allows us to choose whether we think
that we are:

1. A newbie who is seeing the thing for the first time.

2. A haory old programmer who does not need his/her/its handheld.

And at that point we can get all Prince-of-Denmarky with our backdrop.

Richmond.