Bug 20117: new rc2 sets a backdrop, and preferences for same

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 06:50:45 EDT 2017

On 7/19/17 11:55 am, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> On 2017-07-19 08:56, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
>> Even that is a "load of old Bollo"; I'm sure that a lot of people
>> trying out LiveCode for the first time
>> are going to go "gae quair" when they see their desktop vanish.
>
> Possibly - but until you test such a thing, a statement either way is
> just conjecture... Hence why we are testing it!
>
> Admittedly, this was perhaps a slightly riskier test then something
> like the handler menu; although had it actually *only* affected people
> who were still in 'first run' mode... No-one on this list would have
> probably noticed, thus it would not have occasioned any comment.

Lumpy custard!

Other people who have commented on this are all "on this list";
otherwise they would have been unable to comment.

I noticed the backdrop because "there it was" when, having installed
8.1.6 RC 2, I started it up (Mac OS).

I have just installed that on Linux (64-bit) and got the backdrop at
startup as well.

I did say a "few rude words", but did not bother to comment on it until
others raised the issue as it
did not fuss me unduly . . .

> There will be an RC-3 which fixes that problem at least - whether or
> not the auto-backdrop will be kept (in first run mode) will be largely
> down to what the analysis of results of the testing say.

What kind of 'analysis' would that constitute?

Richmond.