debugging a CEF browser instance

Bernard Devlin bdrunrev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 08:55:36 EDT 2017

Thanks Jonathan for confirming that there is no debug mechanism for the
browser widget.

But what my examples shows is that one cannot rely on the browser widget to
present a working web page, even one that works in multiple standard
browsers (including Chrome).  This is not a web page of my construction,
but is one that is in use by other people.  So it's not that it's my
javascript that is failing, and therefore I can't carefully test each line
of javascript without taking their website apart and building it back up to
find the error.

LC needs to have some way of allowing at least the developer to see why a
page is not working within the widget.  The debuglog option of the CEF
browser widget shows
a) that the debuglog is being written to a system folder (and therefore
unlikely to be writeable)
b) that the browser widget has logging disabled anyway
c) that these options are hard-coded into the LC startup process

Anyone got suggestions about how this should be put forward as an
enhancement request/bug report?  It seems that a CEF executable ought to be
launchable with a supplied remote-debugging port. But that also does not
work with the libbrowser-cefprocess.exe which comes with Livecode.
http://magpcss.org/ceforum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11952#p22106

Regards
Bernard

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 12:40 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode <