I'm a stupid GIT

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Sat Jan 7 18:10:47 EST 2017

On Jan 7, 2017 4:01 PM, "Richard Gaskin via use-livecode" <

> Malte Brill wrote:
>
> > I also am a stupid GIT. Way over my head. That said - can’t this be
> > somehow automated so that one could download nightly builds?
>
> While nightly builds can be a good practice for many projects, LC is
unusually complex, and requires a LOT of time to run their build system.

Would it take longer than, um... a night?

> So while most apps only need a single build for one or two platforms, LC
needs to run multiple steps across a much larger number of platforms.

I am a huge fan of automation.  I own a robotic lawnmower.  The robot takes
2 to 3 hours to cut my lawn, which I used to cut manually using a push
mower.  I don't care how much longer the robot "works" in the summer heat
because I stay inside.

> This multiplies the time so much that I would imagine it would take many
hours to build a release, making it impractical to run daily.

If it's automated, you don't run it.  It just runs.  If it fails, so what!
It provides a bleeding edge version for those who can handle some risk.