How to run a hidden standalone under OSX?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Wed Feb 15 17:20:03 EST 2017

> I have a helper app which uses Applescript to communicate what I want it to do. I call it Spinner, and all it does is display a model window with a message and a spinning indicator. If I set it's LSUIElement to true, can I still have it show or hide it's window? All I really want is for the app to not have the icon in the dock as you expressed, but I DO want the user to see it when I show it's window.

Hi Bob,

I'm sorry, I don't know whether the LSUIElement flag would suppress any
windows - I don't think it would, but you'd need to test it.

Manually edit the info.plist file and just add these 2 lines:
    <key>LSUIElement</key>
    <true/>
AFTER the <dict> tag (3rd line or so)
and BEFORE the <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key> line

Hope that helps.