Windows and OSX 64-bit builds?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 10 11:16:33 EST 2017

Tom Glod wrote:

 > 10 K in resolution....
 >
 > I'm going to do more tests with the 2 cache settings ..... compositor
 > cache and image cache..... increasing these definately lets me export
 > snapshots of larger groups...but I have not succeeded in going past
 > 10 K.... I can display up to 32k..... but snapshot export just hard
 > crashes Livecode as soon as it is triggered.  .... 32,000*32,000*4 is
 > 4GB+ ...... I would like my customers to be able to output their
 > content as large images.  10 k is large enough for now.

Curious about this, I ran a test in LC 9 with a new stack with one
button containing this script:

on mouseUp
    set the rect of me to 0,0,6000,6000
    put specialFolderPath("desktop")&"/TestBigImage.png" into tFile
    export snapshot from me to file tFile as PNG
end mouseUp

On Ubuntu 14.04 w/8GB RAM I get the image file generated within seconds,
but then LC takes another several seconds (almost a full minute!) with
one CPU core maxed until it goes back to a normal idle.

Worse, while writing this email I was switching back and forth between
my email client and LC, and apparently resume also takes nearly a full
minute of maxed CPU before I'm able to work.

I'll run strace with that and file a bug report later to see what could
be done, but back to your app's need:

Is raster output the best option for your users?

Even at 10k px that'll be a pretty big file, unwieldy in many image apps
(and apparently prohibitive to export in the Linux version of LC currently).

It would be tedious but not too difficult to write a CardToSVG function
instead, giving your users a widely-supported vector format whose file
will be only slightly larger than the stack it was generated from
(relatively speaking; being a plain-text format I'd guess the output
size would be a small multiple of the stack file size, but certainly far
less than a raster representation of the same layout).

I know Alejandro had written some SVG importers some time ago - anyone
here have at least the beginnings of an SVG exporter we could build upon
as a community project?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems