Size of Image in RAM

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Tue Feb 7 22:45:24 EST 2017

I'm trying to optimize for Mobile.  Photoshop is playing tricks on me

given a 38K  jpg;

rect 3 X 5

552px w
736 px h
72 dpi (irrelevant for screen)

Open in Photoshop: it indicates 1.16M in RAM, but mode is 8 bit… but

but the online calculation sites for file size for that rect/bit-depth should make it only take up 398k or so, in RAM.

If I change the online calculator for that rect to "24 bit" it returns the exactly size  (1.16M) I'm seeing in photoshop…roughly 3X the size of the 8 bit, which is what we would expect.

So

1) Why is Photoshop reporting the files size as if it were 24 bit? and
2) Does LC have a function to check the size of an image in terms of RAM consumed? I couldn't find one in the dictionary.

BR  (thinking about affinity these days!)