Help: Does anyone use legacy message box behavior?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Feb 7 10:37:30 EST 2017

Monte Goulding wrote:

 > I’m in the midst of making the message box redirect work in all
 > engines (https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/5156
 > <https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/5156>) and it would seem
 > that there’s a legacy message box behavior that could be removed from
 > the engine. It’s not used by the IDE. The behavior is if no message
 > box redirect is set then it looks for a stack named “Message Box”,
 > sets the text of the first field then raises the stack. As this is
 > only an IDE thing I strongly suspect we are ok to remove the code
 > but while I’m waiting for the team to wake up in Scotland I thought
 > I’d check here!
 >
 > It would be easy to work around even if you have been depending on it
 > because it’s just setting the property and then handling msgChanged
 > to put msg where ever you want.

IIRC what you describe is the original engine behavior which drove the
MC IDE.  I believe that was also used by early versions of the LC IDE.

The revMessageBoxRedirect global property was a solution added to
satisfy a request I had for being able to use the MC IDE as a plugin
within LC.  If the LC IDE now also uses that property itself that would
seem a cleaner implementation.

Removing the engine behavior you describe will break the MC IDE, but
given how few people use it these days I don't think that should be a
reason to clutter the code base.  Those interested could easily add the
one line of code needed to use revMessageBoxRedirect instead.

Personally, I don't use anything dependent on the older behavior, but I
do use revMessageBoxRedirect very extensively; among other things I've
been using a custom Terminal-like Message Box replacement for years.

Being able to use my custom Message Box in a standalone would be a
godsend.  If removing the old behavior makes a cleaner way to do that I
say go for it.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems