use-livecode Digest, Vol 171, Issue 44
preid at reidit.co.uk
Wed Dec 27 19:26:16 EST 2017
Hi Marc, Paul, Phil, Rick and Richmond
Thanks for your various thoughts.
To put a bit more flesh on this, here's what I'm developing and why...
In the first instance I'm doing this development for a friend who's grandmother suffers from aphasia (saying completely the wrong word). The idea is that her family can put together sets of words where each word is spoken by the app whilst displaying a relevant picture and optionally a short video clip illustrating the correct mouth shape when saying the word. The app displays the word in a very large font with a picture, then the app says the word (with the option to see a mouth shape video clip). The user responds by trying to say the same word and (the thing I can't do yet!) the app gives the user a percentage score that represents how closely the user matched the sample word. If the user's score is above a variable threshold, the user sees a smiley face, otherwise a sad face!
I tried contacting Mark Smith as suggested by Paul but his email address mark at maseurope.net no longer works.
So far I have everything working apart from the comparison of 2 WAV files, in particular the following is working:
- the app checks for the presence of a micro SD card as the source of a collection of word packs
- a word pack consists of a collection of words in sound (WAV) and picture (JPG) form, optionally with supporting video clips (MP4)
- the app lets the user select a word pack at start up and loads the pack into RW file space
- the user taps a large arrow icon to go forwards/backwards through the chosen list of words
- for each word, the word is displayed in a large font at the top of the landscape screen, with its associated picture occupying the lower half of the screen
- as the word is displayed, it is spoken
- the user can tap a microphone icon and record their attempt at the word
- currently I simulate the comparison of the 2 WAV files
- the app gives a percentage score and displays a smiley or sad face accordingly
To be honest, my main aim is to help a friend. At this stage I'm not looking beyond this, so licensing, etc. is not on the horizon at the moment.
More information about the Use-livecode